Birchbox is a subscription based service that delivers “personalized beauty, grooming, and lifestyle samples, tailored to your profile. Try cult brands, up-and-coming lines, and everything in between.” Pricing is as follows, all include free shipping:
$10 each month for 5 beauty samples
$110 for one year for 5 beauty samples per month
$30 per month for 5 beauty samples AND 2 full-size makeup or luxury nail products (this is a brand new option)
It has been forever since I reviewed a Birchbox…it’s time!!
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST CONTAINS REFERRAL LINKS. SEE “HOW WE REVIEW…” FOR MORE DETAILS
Each box arrives with a card detailing all the included items, complete with retail price. Each month you can choose the curated box with all items already picked and the same for everyone or you can choose one of a few samples and then the other four items, Birchbox will choose for you. This month, I chose the Number 4 Shampoo and Conditioner packet.
(1) Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Split End Treatment, 1 fl oz, $7.06 – How exciting that I get to have three hair products in my box!!! I mean that! This split end mender has slightly confusing instructions. It says, “Apply to damp hair as the first step, before primers and leave-ins. Apply to dry hair after styling and to touch up.” I used it after showering the other day and it was quite light. It didn’t weigh my hair down. I definitely liked it!
(1) Kiehl’s Super Multi-Corrective Eye-Opening Serum, .1 fl oz, $7.80 – This eye opening serum is meant to lift, firm, smooth, hydrate, and restore. Besides the fact that there was almost nothing in my bottle, I really appreciate that it has almost no scent. It also absorbed relatively quickly. But, with only two uses, I don’t really see that much of a difference. I’m sure this is one of those items you need to use for a while to see a change…I wonder what I’ll think after a week, if there’s enough for that many days!
(1) Number 4 L’eau de Mare Hydrating Shampoo, 1 fl oz, $2.04 – This shampoo is vegan, gluten free, sulfate and sodium chloride free, and paraben free. I always need more shampoo and conditioner and I was thrilled to see this uber fancy brand as a sample that I could choose. I love how the shampoo lathers and left my hair super soft.
(1) Number 4 L’eau de Mare Hydrating Conditioner, .25 fl oz, $.49 – This conditioner is just like the shampoo…vegan, gluten free, sulfate and sodium chloride free, and paraben free. I love how it left my hair! Would absolutely recommend this stuff to anyone!
(1) The Balm Stainiac in Beauty Queen, .04 fl oz, $2.00 – I’ve actually received this sample from Birchbox before. This is what I wrote last time: This lip stain really scared me! It’s such a bright red that I was nervous to even try it…kind of reminds me of fake stage blood. At first, when putting on the gel, it looked really red with a bit of pink, but once I really spread it out, it wasn’t so bad. Then Katrina really wanted to try it and I applied it to her mouth and it turned out to be quite lovely. We both spent the rest of the afternoon wearing it and it turned out to look really good!
(1) Cargo Eye Shadow Duo in Joey & the Rocks, $5.67 – I guessed that the colors would be grays, but was pleasantly surprised to see these warm browns. I sampled them last night and was pleased with how well they blended. They’re the perfect colors for creating a natural look with a soft hand or a dramatic look with a heavy hand. These colors, Joey as well as The Rocks, are each a part of a 12 color eye shadow palette named The Land Down Under. I’m definitely just guessing on the value of this little duo since they’re not sold to the public like this.
A nice, subtle look!
Overall Impressions: As always, I am very impressed with my Birchbox! My calculated value this month comes to around $25, which is a great deal since I paid only a little over $9 for this box with my multi-month subscription. Birchbox really does have one of the best deals out there! I think my April box just shipped and I’m trying hard to avoid looking at my box online…let’s see if I win the battle! 😉